[linux-lvm] I'm confused

Cameron Hutchison camh at xdna.net
Sat Dec 7 22:07:02 UTC 2002

Once upon a time David Corbin said...

> I'm having trouble reconciling the 436MB   of the "df" with the VG Size
> of vgdisplay.  Obviously something is wrong somewhere.  I KNOW I'm no
> where near using up my 120G drive yet.

Nothing is wrong. Generally you can't directly reconcile the output of
df with the VG size. df output correlates to LV sizes.

Here's what you've got:

> VG Size               109.77 GB

Your volume group (vg0) is about 110GB (I gather the other 10GB of your
drive is allocated to other partitions).

> Alloc PE / Size       109 / 436 MB

You've used up (allocated) 436MB of the volume group

> Free  PE / Size       27993 / 109.35 GB

You have still almost 110GB free (since you allocated only 436MB)

> lvscan -- ACTIVE            "/dev/vg0/data" [436 MB]

Your data partition is the only LV and that is using the 436MB used in
vg0.

> /dev/vg0/data           446444    444448      1996 100% /data

Your filesystem on /dev/vg0/data is using the entire 436MB of the
partition. And its full.

What you need to do now is extend your logical volume to allocate more
space to it. Then resize the filesystem. If you have an ext2/ext3
filesystem, you use "e2fsadm --size ...". If you have xfs, you use
"xfs_growfs ...". I dont know about other filesystem types.

eg. to add 10G to your data partition (assuming xfs - that's what I use):
# lvextend --size +10G /dev/vg0/data
# xfs_growfs /dev/vg0/data

df(1) should now show a large filesystem with much more space.