[linux-lvm] lvm-problems. vgda inconsistency

Dieter Franzke lists at franzke-online.de
Mon Dec 16 11:10:02 UTC 2002

Hi,

Am Montag, 16. Dezember 2002 16:48 schrieb Heinz J . Mauelshagen:
> On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 09:23:58AM +0100, Dieter Franzke wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've created a pv, vg and lv
> > via pvcreate, vgcreate and lvcreate.
> > Everything went well.
> > But when I tried to  initialize a filesystem via mkfs.xfs I get following
> > error:
> >
> > VGDA in Kernel and lvmtab are NOT consistent; please run vgscan
> >
> > When I run vgscan nothing is changed.
> > How can I fix this without rebooting?
>
> Rebooting won't help this. vgscan _reads_ the LVM metadata on the PVs
> and tries to update the working copies of the metadata in /etc/lvmtab*.
> No change to the metadata on the PVs happens during a vgscan run.
>
> Does vgscan display any error?

2 VGs were recognized, the 3rd (the last I've created) isn't displayed.

> What does vgck display?

VGDA in Kernel and lvmtab are NOT consistent; please run vgscan

> vgck should check the ondisk metadata fine or we need to restore it
> from archive copies in /etc/lvmconf/ (please save those!)

in my /etc/lvm-conf there is .conf of my third VG  /etc/lvm-conf/daten.conf

vgcfgrestore -n daten -t /dev/sda1 works fine
backup of VolumeGroup "daten" is consistent

an the option -l works also fine.

but a vgcfgrestore -n daten -f /etc/lvm-conf/daten.conf /dev/sda1
displays: can't restore part of active Volume group daten.

But vgscan says: daten isn't existent.
shows only buero, datenbu

ciao

dieter