[linux-lvm] Re: [lvm-devel] [ANNOUNCE] LVM reimplementationre ady for beta testing

STEFANG(GMX) sgiessler at gmx.net
Fri Feb 1 04:06:02 UTC 2002

Hallo list,

on Fre, 01 Feb 2002, Heinz J . Mauelshagen (mauelshagen at sistina.com) wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 03:05:56PM -0500, Jeff Layton wrote:
[...]
> > I've worked with Kevin a few months ago on using EVMS
> > to recover a filesystem ontop of LVM when a disk went
> > south and we had no backups
>
> It is quite intersting how many people don't take backups even though
> almost everybody claims to know that backups are crucial and some of them
> know that they are still, even though they might have RAID in place.

You cannot replace Backups with a RAID system...a RAID system is
just fine to help you in cas of a hardware failure, but if a disk
driver/user/hacker goes wild you are in big trouble 'cause the data
is gone on all disks.  I had the very same discussion in many
companies; the MBA guys try to tell you there is no need for a
backup (Backup is essentially an unneeded "loss center" for them)
since they have installed a RAID system... ;-)

CU,
   Stefan
--
Stefan Giessler                                       e-mail:
sgiessler at gmx.net

artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity