[linux-lvm] one PV crashed

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Fri Feb 1 04:52:01 UTC 2002

    Heinz> On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 11:01:22AM +0100, Turbo Fredriksson
    Heinz> wrote:
    >> I have (had) 6 PV's in my VG. The last one crashed (the whole
    >> disk seems to have broken totaly).
    >>
    >> It don't seem possible to restore the information (not without
    >> spending $$$ to a data recovery company), so how do I get the
    >> data stored on the OTHER disks?

    Heinz> You don't spend a single dollar :-)

I was referring to restore the lost data on the failed disk ..

    Heinz> There's 2 solutions:

    Heinz> A: --
    Heinz> Buy a replacemeent drive (say /dev/sdg1 ;-) and run

    Heinz> fdisk # to partition it the same way the broken one was
    Heinz> pvcreate /dev/sdg1 vgcfgrestore -f /etc/lvmconf/vg1.conf -n
    Heinz> vg1 /dev/sdg1 vgscan

I'll get a replacement from IBM (the disk is still on warranty), so I'd
go for this...

Since I have data on the vg, will this still let me keep this, or will
it be destroyed when doing the pvcreate/vgcfgrestore?

    Heinz> B: --
    Heinz> If you don't have a replacement drive at hand you can even
    Heinz> be faster by faking one (you must have loop configured in
    Heinz> the kernel and use LVM 1.0.2):

    Heinz> dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/my_sdg1.vgda bs=1k count=512
    Heinz> losetup /dev/loop0 /tmp/my_sdg1.vgda pvcreate /dev/loop0
    Heinz> vgcfgrestore -f /etc/lvmconf/vg1.conf -n vg1 /devloop0
    Heinz> vgscan

I'll do this as a temporary solution, while waiting for the replacement.
Knowing IBM, it can take a while :)

Same question here, will the content on the VG be destroyed?

    Heinz> Hope that helps :-)

It does (at least in the sense that I'll won't loose MORE data :) Thanx.

spy NORAD Peking domestic disruption Kennedy subway Ortega president
quiche class struggle [Hello to all my fans in domestic surveillance]
AK-47 CIA Ft. Bragg attack