[linux-lvm] Root fs on LV on software RAID - SUCCESS

George Karaolides george at karaolides.com
Mon Feb 4 11:25:02 UTC 2002

Hello Francis,

Thanks for your reply.  You are, however, referring to hardware RAID; I
was referring to Linux software RAID.

I did check the archives of this mailing list for the past four or five
months.

There are a lot of threads about LVM on RAID (and vice-versa, though I
don't understand why anyone would want to do that...)  But I didn't find a
discussion about how to have the root fs on LVM on software RAID.

Anyway, I have eventually succeeded in building a system (Debian woody,
kernel 2.4.17) with root fs on LVM on software RAID-1.  Just to make
things interesting, I used reiserfs throughout; this is a proof-of-concept
system.

A root-on-LVM-on-software-RAID-HOWTO is not written up anywhere I could
find it.  Even for just root-on-RAID, the current HOWTO's are out of date
and don't work with kernel 2.4.  So I'll write up my setup in an informal
HOWTO which I'll put up on my website.  Watch this space, as they say.

Best regards,

|      George Karaolides       8, Costakis Pantelides St.,         |
|      tel:   +357 99 68 08 86                  Strovolos,         |
|      email: george at karaolides.com       Nicosia CY 2057,         |
|      web:   www.karaolides.com      Republic  of Cyprus          |