[linux-lvm] Backup costs (was: LVM reimplementationre)

Jeff Layton laytonjb at bellsouth.net
Wed Feb 6 20:03:02 UTC 2002

James Mello wrote:

> >    Large amounts of data brings in even more issues. How do
> > you stream Petabytes of data to tape in a resonable of time?
> > Unless you spend HUGE amounts of money to buy multiple
> > silos to handle slices of the data and put in a fantastic network
> > to handle the traffic, you can't backup in a reasonable amount
> > of time. In this case, disk is your only choice. The data size
> > break point between disk and tape depends on lots of things,
> > but that point is moving downward all the time (perhaps in
> > the Terabyte range).
>
> Petabytes are another matter entirely. If you must absolutely have that
> much data backed up, you start looking at more exotic solutions. Backing
> up solely to disk is *way* to expensive, hence the wonderful, but of
> poorly implemented idea of HSM.... Disk and tape :)

Yes, HSM has never panned out the way it was supposed to.
However, try backing up Petabytes with tape in a reasonable
amount of time. While I've never configure such a system,
the numbers from systems I have seen indicate that disk is
much cheaper than tape (even if tape is a feasible solution
because of speed).

Jeff