[linux-lvm] LVM Redhat 7.2 : Volume Group not activated on boot

Peter Gram peter.gram at miracleas.dk
Mon Feb 11 18:48:01 UTC 2002

Hi

I have this problem that I hope some of you out there might be able to
help with ?

My problem is on boot of the machine I get a  error from the mount
process that it can not mount and check my file system
"/dev/vg01/vg01lv01" and a option to go into singe user mode where I can
se that the "vgchange -a y" is not run to activate
the volume group. I have looked at the rc.sysinit and there is this
entry that should activate all defined volume groups.
Have any of you out in cyberspace seen the same problem with Redhat 7.2 ?

cut from the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit :

# LVM initialization
if [ -e /proc/lvm -a -x /sbin/vgchange -a -f /etc/lvmtab ]; then
        action $"Setting up Logical Volume Management:" /sbin/vgscan &&
/sbin/vgchange -a y
fi

My setup :

HP Omnibook 6000 laptop
Redhat 7.2
I have installed the "new" 2.4.17 Linux kernel
VLM support works (That is I can create lv's and I use ext3 file system
on them)
I have added my lvm to fstab and are able to mount/umount the file
system without problems

cut from fstab :

/dev/vg01/vg01lv01      /home5/pgram/dev        ext3    defaults        1 2

--

/regards

Peter Gram

Phone : +45 2527 7107