[OT]: Re: [linux-lvm] RH7.2 + kernel 2.4.17(or 16) + LVM 1.0.2

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling at birddog.com
Mon Feb 18 19:18:02 UTC 2002

	That is a curious remark, on several occasions Alan Cox has said that he
compiles and runs his kernels using a current RedHat compiler.  His
kernel releases are generally known for their stability.  There were
known problems with certain versions, but the recent releases I believe
both of them from 7.1 and 7.2 are fine.  In fact, as a general rule the
LKML recommends not using a 3.X compiler (they do it, but not for
production systems as I recall).

A little googling comes up with this:

http://kltp.kldp.org/eunjea/fun/archive/0000.html

I know there are several better ones, but I don't have time to hunt them
down right now.

Read that thread and there are several prominate hackers that say
2.96.XX where XX > 76 work fine (some of them don't work for RH :-).

Take both Anders and my advice with a grain of salt.  We say opposite
things, the most telling piece of advice is read the Documentation in
the kernel tree and notice it claims the RH compiler should work but
that some other random version is the preferred compiler, and 3.0.X
isn't anywhere on that list as of Nov of last year according to the thread.

The only other question is what does sistina test there code with?  I
would use that one.  But then again you the original poster didn't ask
about that.  I doubt your problems involve any of this information.

	Thanks,
		Kirby