[linux-lvm] Cluster LVM

Remco Post r.post at sara.nl
Thu Feb 28 04:17:01 UTC 2002

> Having a single master is a _terrible_ idea, since this would mean that
> if that node is down you are unable to change the VG until/if it is back
> working again.
>
> Rather use a DLM (as the other poster suggested) and a client needs to
> get a lock on the VG in order to change anything.  You can start with
> a lock per VG and one per shared PV not in a VG, and then go more fine
> grained if you want (e.g. write lock on VG and specific LV being changed,
> which does not block users of other LVs).  In the end, because you are
> not changing a VG configuration very often, and it doesn't take very long
> when you do (excluding pvmove), the big lock is probably enough.
>
> Cheers, Andreas

Agreed,

I was unclear about my ideas. Having the one big log is probably all you ever need, since all manipulations on a lv or a pv in a vg have impact on the vg.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Stichting Academisch Rekencentrum Amsterdam
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 8008    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer
industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer industry
didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams