[linux-lvm] A way to bypass LVM and extract the raw data off?

IpSo ipso at snappymail.ca
Tue Jan 8 21:03:01 UTC 2002

Quoting Petro <petro at auctionwatch.com>:

> On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 06:26:36PM -0800, IpSo wrote:
> > Well, it doesn't look like there is a way I can recover my LVM volume
> groups and
> > whatnot. (See below) But I know theres a fully intact ReiserFS of 17315mb
> on
> > /dev/hda6. "gpart" scanned my disk and came up with this:
>
>     Does the OS recognize /dev/hda6 as a partition?

Yup! I'm confident everything as far as the reiser filesystem is fine, just LVM
is very confused.

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *         1       507    255496+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hda2           508     39813  19810224    5  Extended
/dev/hda5           508      4633   2079472+  83  Linux
/dev/hda6          4634     39813  17730688+  8e  Linux LVM

> > Is there some way to "dd" the data off onto another partition and access
> it
> > there? Because I know the filesystem was only on a single PV, and a single
> LV,
> > and the problems occured when trying to extend that LV, but I never got to
> the
> > point of extending the filesystem itself with reiser_resize. You would
> think I
> > could somehow using the offsets given above create a new partition to copy
> the
> > data to, run a reiserfsck and rebuild the file system so I can access the
> data?
> > Has anyone tryed something along these lines before?
>
>     If you have the HD space, you could try dd if=/dev/hda6
>     of=/some/file
>
>     Then mount -o loop /some/file /mnt/point -t reiserfs.
>
>     I don't think this would do any more damage.

I'll give it a shot I guess, won't this loopback file contain the extra LVM
information and cause problems when trying to mount it though? Does the LVM
information take up the first 2mb or something that I could set the offset as,
so it doesn't carry over to the loopback file?

> --
> Share and Enjoy.

IpSo