[linux-lvm] Re: Unable to get XFS, ext3, reiserfs & LVM to coexist happily

Adrian Head ahead at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jan 10 09:22:01 UTC 2002

In the process of trying to fix this issue I have been playing around with a
patch from the great SGI XFS developers.  It certainly fixes the problems I
was having but I'm now trying to help clean the patch up.

The problem now is that when I try to mount a ext3 snapshot using:
mount /dev/HDA/SNAP /mnt/snapshot
The kernel mounts the snapshot as ext2.  Is was not happening before the
patch and I was wondering if anyone thinks this is a problem.  As ext3 is
backward compatible with ext2 there doesn't seem to be any problems during my
testing with respect to standard file operations.  I can mount the snapshot
as ext3 if I use:
mount -t ext3 /dev/HDA/SNAP /mnt/snapshot

The next problem is that when the ext3 snapshot (mounted as ext3) overflows
lvm generates an error in the logs:
lvm -- giving up to snapshot /dev/HDA/XFS on /dev/HDA/SNAP: out of space
lvm - lvm_map: ll_rw_blk for inactive LV /dev/HDA/SNAP

The 1st line I understand but the 2nd I don't.  I was hoping that some LVM
guru/developer could explain the 2nd line and what it means.

The last problem is that in only some of my tests when I "ls" the overflowed
snapshot "ls" complains about missing directories and files, "echo *" shows
what use to be there and ext3 generates errors in the logs:
EXT3-fs error (device lvm(58,5)): ext3_readdir" directory #2 contains a hole
at offset 0

I was hoping that a ext2/3 guru/developer could explain this error and what
it means.

Thanks for everybodies time and effort.

--
Adrian Head