[linux-lvm] kernel: zam-7001: io error in reiserfs_find_entry

Thomas Ziegler zie at codingtechnologies.de
Fri Jan 11 04:52:02 UTC 2002

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 10:37:18AM +0000, Patrick Caulfield wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 11:30:17AM +0100, J?rgen Vollmer wrote:
> >
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > I use kernel-source-2.4.16.SuSE-24.i386.rpm together with reiserfs and
> > made a snapshot which I then tar'ed.
> > Writing the tape seems to be ok. After that I did:
> >
> > 	tar --directory=/ --file=/dev/tape --compare
> >
> > and got the message (while working i.e. modifying the  original filesystem)
> >
> > Message from syslogd at joergli at Fri Jan 11 10:57:19 2002 ...
> > joergli kernel: zam-7001: io error in reiserfs_find_entry
> >

> > So it seems that the snapshot is full. Is that correct, or do I have a serious
> > problem? Note: I'm doing my backups, so a dead backup is not a very good
> > one :-)
>
> Yes, your snapshot is full. When this happens LVM fails all I/O to the snapshot.
> Unfortunatetly reiserfs doesn't not currently cope very well with I/O errors on
> a device hence the message you saw.
>
> You will need to allocate more space to the snapshot LV to get around this.
>
> It's not a serious problem but if you are bothered by the oops I posted a
> patch to workaround to the problem here:
>
> http://lists.sistina.com/pipermail/linux-lvm/2001-November/009913.html
>
> It's not great and it doesn't stop the full snapshot being unusable, but it does
> stop the oopses.

Some Questions to LVM and snapshots:

- Do other filesystems cope in a better way with a full snapshot than reiserfs?

- What's the preferred fs in conjunction with lvm?

- Is there a way to get the snapshot not destroyed if it is getting full?

Thanks in advance,
Thomas

--
Dr.-Ing. Thomas Ziegler            |
Senior Research Engineer           | Coding Technologies