[linux-lvm] pvcreate error

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolabs.com
Mon Jan 14 14:25:02 UTC 2002

On Jan 14, 2002  20:57 +0100, Csuk, Ferenc wrote:
> I just installed a new system and I installed the latest 2.4.16 kernel
> and the latest LVM tool 1.0.1-rc4. I established a software RAID-5
> device(md) and wanted to create a logical volume group on it(as I did
> with 2.4.7 kernel on another system). However, when I issued the command
> I got the following error:
>
> # pvcreate -v /dev/md2
> pvcreate -- locking logical volume manager
> > pvcreate -- checking physical volume name "/dev/md2"
> > pvcreate -- getting physical volume size
> > pvcreate -- checking partition type
> > pvcreate -- creating new physical volume
> > pvcreate -- setting up physical volume for /dev/md7 with 0 sectors
                                               ^^^^^^^^      ^^^^^^^^^
> > pvcreate -- ERROR "parameter error" setting up  physical volume
> "/dev/md2"

Something strange going on there.  We have md2 => md7 and zero size.
Maybe the output of "pvcreate -v -d /dev/md2" would help.

> I checked the archives where I saw suggestion to patch the LVM tool, but
> I don´t think that is related to the latest version.

Yes, there were problems with MD devices and LVM, but I don't know when
the fix went in.  Note that there _should_ be a 1.0.1 release of the
tools also.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger