[linux-lvm] Pvmove fails... No free PE's

Anders Widman andewid at tnonline.net
Wed Jan 16 00:53:01 UTC 2002

I have a bad disk (hdl1) that needs to be replaced. It is 40GB, or 1220 PE's. I have another disk which is about 120GB, but has 1221 free PE's. Both disks are in the same VG, Server and the same LV,
FTPRoot. When I try "pvmove -v /dev/hdl1" it failes (doesn't even start, really) and tells me I haven't any free PE's.

What can I have missed...

1) I shrick the filesystem first with about 60GB
2) I use lvreduce to shrick the LV with about 59GB
3) I tried "pvmove -v /dev/hdl" to move all PE's on this 40GB disk to the free ones on the other disks. This should have worked, shoudln't it?

have I missed something critical?

//Anders