[linux-lvm] Again (still?): File size limit exceeded

Axel Hinrichs hinrichs at bitscape.de
Wed Jan 16 07:37:01 UTC 2002

Hello,

I'm using Kernel 2.4.17, LVM 1.0.1 and everything was fine. The biggest
used LV is 1.5GB and I used to have an 8GB standby LV (I was able to
create and format without problems). Now I just deleted and recreated this
8GB LV and when I now try to format - reiserfs or ext2 - it I get the
error "File size limit exceeded". I read the thread about this last month
and checked my ulimits (even if they said this issue is fixed since
2.4.17-pre-something):

# ulimit -H -a
core file size (blocks)     unlimited
data seg size (kbytes)      unlimited
file size (blocks)          unlimited
max locked memory (kbytes)  unlimited
max memory size (kbytes)    unlimited
open files                  1024
pipe size (512 bytes)       8
stack size (kbytes)         unlimited
cpu time (seconds)          unlimited
max user processes          unlimited
virtual memory (kbytes)     unlimited

Further tests leaded to the following: I'm able to format an 2GB
LV, but 2GB+1PE gives the above error.

Does anyone know why and how to correct?

Thanks in advance,
Axel