[linux-lvm] Again (still?): File size limit exceeded

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolabs.com
Wed Jan 16 20:40:01 UTC 2002

On Jan 17, 2002  01:21 +0100, lvm at xbits.de wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > Kernel + libc bug.  You need to log in directly as root (no "su",
> > no "sudo") and you must not have any ulimits set.  Even if you try
> > to set your ulimit to "unlimited" (and even if it shows "unlimited")
> > it is really 2GB.
> >
> > You can also upgrade to 2.4.18-pre2+ or glibc-2.2 to fix this.
>
> Thanks for your helpful reply. Just one last short question: Until I can
> upgrade my libc or my kernel, if I created this 2GB+ LV's on the console,
> can I use them or should they generally be at most 2GB?

If you log in directly as root, and you can mkfs and fsck the partition,
then you will have no problem with 2GB+ LVs.  If your non-root userid
doesn't have a ulimit set, then you will not have any problem.

My system, for example, has:

/etc/profile:			ulimit -c 1000000
/etc/gdm/Sessions/Gnome:	ulimit `loginoptionvalue ULIMIT`

The first is for core files, can be ignored.  The second will set
the ulimit for gdm (X Windows login manager) to some value, and
hence any X Windows sessions will also inherit this ulimit.  Since
there is a kernel/glibc bug, setting any value of the ULIMIT option
will be a problem, so it should simply be removed for single-user
systems until you update your kernel and/or glibc.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger