[linux-lvm] Again (still?): File size limit exceeded

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolabs.com
Wed Jan 16 21:03:02 UTC 2002

On Jan 17, 2002  15:47 +1300, Steve Wray wrote:
> How about when I'm logged in as root and I try to say;
> dd if=/dev/hda5 of=/tmp/hda5.img
>
> where hda5 is a 5 gig partition?
>
> And it coredumps when the file size of hda5.img exceeds 2G?

Well, there are two possibilities:
1) You are hitting the aforementioned kernel bug and have a ulimit set
   somewhere.  Even though it is _likely_ that root does not have a
   ulimit set, it is not impossible that it is set.
2) Your dd/glibc/filesystem is not LFS capable and is hitting the normal
   2GB limit.

You should be able to check this by running "strace dd <options>" and
looking for several things:
1) dd is opening the files with "O_LARGEFILE"
2) whether dd is getting SIGXFSZ on read or write.