dd and raw devices with lvm [was: Re: [linux-lvm] LVM hang with some uses of raw i/o]

Eike Kowallik E.Kowallik at tu-bs.de
Wed Jul 3 11:52:01 UTC 2002

Hello!

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 01:28:00PM -0400, Gary Eheman wrote:

> utilities (I think), though I also see that dd is not supposed to be used
> against raw devices in the man pages.  The author of our utility is well aware
> of the need to align the buffers, and the same code does work on other raw
> devices on other LVM linux systems I have put together.

I waited some days, but nobody wrote something about dd and raw
devices...

I read the dd man pages on two Linux Systems - and the newest
one from the fileutils Version 4.1:
http://www.gnu.org/directory/All_GNU_Packages/fileutils.html
But I couldn't find any note about (problems with) raw devices.

Grey, would you give me a hint? Anybody else? I'm asking here
because I used dd to find out more about my problems with
lvm and raw devices (for Oracle RAC):
http://lists.sistina.com/pipermail/linux-lvm/2002-June/011737.html

Thanks in advance, Eike