[linux-lvm] LVM2 modifies the buffer_head struct?

Andrew Morton akpm at zip.com.au
Thu Jul 4 00:39:02 UTC 2002

Neil Brown wrote:

> We just want ext3/jbd to make sure that it only calls bh2jh on
> an unlocked buffer... is that easy?

It's feasible, but a downright pita.

> Ofcourse this ceases to be an issue in 2.5 because the filesys uses
> pages or buffer_heads and the device driver uses bios.

Well, for 2.4 I'd be inclined to just add the extra field to
struct buffer_head and be done with it.

Current sizeof(buffer_head) is 96 bytes, and making that 100 would
be a nuisance, but its quite easy to shrink the buffer_head a
bit (replace b_inode with BH_inode, say...).

-