[linux-lvm] df reporting incorrect size?

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling at birddog.com
Mon Jul 8 16:58:02 UTC 2002

	My only advice is that you might want to reserve a small number of blocks
for root on the filesystem, read up on -r for tune2fs.  The percentage
as nearly as I can tell is only in integers.

	If you are using ext3 (which isn't a bad idea for a filesystem this
large), I've used ReiserFS on filesystems this big.  The journal will
take up something between 1024 Blocks and 10240 blocks depends on how
you set it up, which can use up an additional 400M.  Read up on the -J
option to tune2fs.  This can be reset after the filesystem is configured.

	If you're going to all that trouble, you should consider how many files
you might put on the filesystem, and adjust the number of inodes to be
reasonable.  Look at -i and -N for ext2/3 (this can only be done at
filesystem creation time).  df -i will report on inodes.

	Finally, adding more space to the filesystem:

pvcreate /dev/device
vgextend VolGroupName /dev/device
lvextend --size +60G LogicalVolumePath

	Then depending on the filesystem you have to resize it.  To do that on
ext2/3, you have to unmount the filesystem.  For reiserFS, you can do it
online.

	If all you really wanted was a huge filesystem of a known (fixed) size,
and you aren't planning on adding any drives, the md tools and software
RAID will do the job (either linear append or RAID 0).  They aren't
nearly as flexible, and aren't half as cool in my opinion, but they do
get it done.

	It can save you a lot of trouble w/ LVM to not use it.  LVM if you need
it is a godsend, if you don't I wouldn't bother with it, it's can be a
hassle.  I play with it, so I get used to it.  It has caused problems in
the past on my personal boxes.  I haven't had catastrophic stuff happen
to me, and the guys here appear to work miracles on data recovery.  So,
I wouldn't be paranoid about my data, but downtime is a problem for me,
so I skip all the features I can do without on my production machines at
work.

	Thanks,
		Kirby