[linux-lvm] Extending an LVM-Partition

Andy Baillie andyb at creative-realms.net
Sun Jul 14 14:33:01 UTC 2002

Goetz Bock wrote:

>On Sun, Jul 14 '02 at 21:05, Kai Weber wrote:
>
>>Or I ask for an "you can just add the PV hda2 and it does not matter, if
>>there is another PV on this disk" advice.
>>
>It's ok to do this (I do this all the time with my regular setups:
>install the system to a mini ext2 partition, make the rest LVM, move
>system to LVM, add former ext2 partition to LVM. As the installers
>nowadays support LVM this is nolonger needed, but when I started LVM
>no installer knew it).
>It is only a bad idea when you want to try striping (for, I hope,
>obviouse reasons)

The method I use is to make an initrd system
hda1 30Mb ext2  /boot
hda2  1G  (or 2x memory) ext /
hda3 200Mb ext2 / (not used initially)
hda4 - the rest as an lvm partition.

I install to hda2 and hda1 until I get a base system which understands
lvm (with debian woody
this is quite a lot of effort!) Then I copy all genuine root stuff to
hda3 and make lvm partitions
for the rest which are then populated. Lilo is set to boot either hda2
or hda3 for safety and I
test the hda3 boot sequence. Once happy I turn hda2 into a swap
partition. Doing it this way
I find have no worries about merging small partition bits back in.

Regards
Andy Baillie