[linux-lvm] SuSE Linux and EMC/XP/VA7100/VA7100

Michael Lausch mla at lausch.at
Mon Jun 3 07:50:02 UTC 2002

ZECHA,HOLGER (HP-Germany,ex1) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> has anyone detailed experience connecting a SuSE Linux to a
> EMC,XP,VA7100,VA7400 using Emulex FC cards and configuring LVM ?

if you mean with XP HP's XP256 or comparable, i found the following:

Setup
HP lpr1000 1U server.
QLogic FCal Card
Brocade FCAL switches
XP256 with 1,5 TByte in ~7 Gig slices.

the problems which prohibited us from using this setup in a production
environment:
Linux could not scan all the LUNS and SCSI ID's without kernel modification.

The mapping from LDEVs to SCSI-ID/LUN could not be performed in a
reliabel way on the linux box. Since the XP256 was shared between
different servers (Sun Solaris) this was the showstopper. We could never
be certain which ID/LUN corresponds to which LDEV (7 GByte Slice).