[linux-lvm] EXT2 to EXT3 LVM volume on Redhat

Ben Lutgens blutgens at sistina.com
Tue Jun 4 15:30:02 UTC 2002

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 10:18:49PM +0200, Aslak Sommerfelt Skretting wrote:
>As far as i can understand a simple:
>
>tune2fs -j /dev/storage/space

Yup. I've done this many times with no problems.

>would create a new journal file, and convert the filesystem to ext3. and a:
>
>tune2fs -i 0 /dev/storage/space
>
>would disable the fsck's that occur now and then (and takes an insane amount
>of time on a 650gb filesystem), and are no longer necessary since the
>filesystem is EXT3.

Don't presume that because it's EXT3 that fscks are no longer necessary.
Only thing the journal guarantees is that your metadata won't become
corrupt (i think journal=data mount option fixes this but will affect
performance and not neccessarily badly). If your filesystem has been
shutdown cleanly many many times you could still has some loss. A fsck
should take care of that.

>and then everything would be ok? or is there more that need to be done?

take backups.
take backups.
take backups.
take backups.

:-)

>Is this a complicated process that i might just as well avoid in order not
>to damage my data? Or is this pretty straightforward?

It's pretty straight forward. Did I mention to make sure you have backups?
Oh and the other concern is that you want to make sure you backup before
you get carried away ;-)

Can you tell my tape drive has saved my life and my job once or twice ;-)

--
Ben Lutgens				 | http://people.sistina.com/~blutgens/
System Administrator	 | http://www.sistina.com/

"I got a wife and kids too but you don't see me out here stealing Imperial
Droids now do ya?"