[linux-lvm] Re: [linux-lvm] LVM mit einem Readonly rootfs möglich?

Goetz Bock bock at blacknet.de
Fri Jun 14 17:57:01 UTC 2002

On Fri, Jun 14 '02 at 20:30, Andre Borkenfeld wrote:
> Hallo Herr Mauelshagen,
While I'm not Heinz, I know German and might have a different solution
... (btw. I think it's rude to post to an international ML in German,
but there might be some documentation that leads people to belive this
is a personal mail address :-/ )

> wir setzen die SuSE Distribution für die zSeries ein (s390, 64bit). Unserer
> kernelstand ist 2.4.17-timer mit gcc 2.95.
> Wir haben folgendes vor:
> - Aufbau eines Linux systems als "Mastersystem"
> - Aufbau mehrerer Linux-Clone. Diese haben readonly Zugriff auf das
> root-filesystem des Mastersystemes.
> Dies soll Plattenplatz aber vor allem Wartung sparen.
[ In English:
  We're currently using SuSE on a zSeries with kernel 2.4.17-timer and gcc
  2.95. We'd like to create a master linux image and multiple colnes with RO
  access to the master root filesystem.Beside saving storage space, it
  should save maintenance. ]

> Wir haben nun ein Problem:
> Wir wollen Ihren LVM einsetzen. Leider schreibt der LVM in /etc mehrere
> files/directories. Die Directories konnten wir durch links in ein
> rw-filesystem umlenken; Bei der lvmtab versagt diese Technik jedoch.
[ While we'd like to use LVM but it requires rw for /etc. ]

I'd like to suggest:

a) skip vgscan, it is not requires IF your LVM meta information is
   correct (IIRC)
b) what about linking
   /etc/lvmtab -> /var/run/lvmtab
   /etc/lvmconf -> /var/run/lvmconf/
   /etc/lvmtab.d -> /var/run/lvmtab.d/
   as long as LVM does not remove the link for lvmtab first, this should
   work (I did not test this)

Cu,
    Goetz.