[linux-lvm] ext2online and 2.4.18

Andreas Dilger adilger at clusterfs.com
Wed Jun 19 16:49:02 UTC 2002

On Jun 19, 2002  14:10 -0700, Ian Prowell wrote:
> Andreas,
> Thanks for the prompt reply.  To be more specific I am using RedHat's
> 2.4.18-4 kernel.  When I apply the patch I get the following output.
>
> [root at metaverse src]# cat /root/online-ext2-2.4.17.diff | patch -p0
> patching file linux/fs/ext2/super.c
> Hunk #9 succeeded at 730 (offset -1 lines).
> Hunk #10 FAILED at 883.
> Hunk #11 succeeded at 893 (offset 1 line).
> Hunk #12 succeeded at 917 (offset -1 lines).
> Hunk #13 succeeded at 979 (offset 1 line).
> Hunk #14 succeeded at 987 (offset -1 lines).
> Hunk #15 succeeded at 1024 (offset 1 line).
> 1 out of 15 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file
> linux/fs/ext2/super.c.rej
>
> It looks like most of the patch is working, but I am not a kernel
> developer and really have no idea what failed on hunk 10.  If it would
> be useful I can send the rejects file.

It won't really be useful for you to send the failed hunk, because I
have no idea why it is failing.  I would suggest firing up a text editor
with fs/ext2/super.c and fs/ext2/super.c.rej and just manually cut-paste
the failed parts in.

Unified diffs are rather simple to understand.

Lines like "@@ -123,6 +234,8 @@" are telling you that the original file
had this hunk at line 123 and the modified file had the replacement
hunk at line 234.

Lines like "-                blah" are removing that line from the
original file and replacing it with "+           blarg" in the new file.

Hopefully hunk #10 isn't too large...  Sadly, the larger the hunk, the
more likely it is to not apply cleanly...

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger