[linux-lvm] ext2online and 2.4.18

Andreas Dilger adilger at clusterfs.com
Sat Jun 22 03:13:01 UTC 2002

On Jun 21, 2002  23:49 +0200, Sander wrote:
> One message in dmesg which I don't see in a kernel without the patch:
> "EXT2-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is
> recommended", strange since I have fs checking automatically.

This may happen if you are doing lots of testing.  The interface to the
online resize is done via "mount -o remount,resize=<new_size> /device"
so each time you do a resize it counts as an extra mount.  At one time
I thought I should fix this, so that you don't get filesystem checks
more often, but online resizing is a bit dangerous in the end, so if
you do lots of resizing it probably isn't a bad idea to do extra
checks on the filesystem.

> I have seen other messages on a few previous boots with a patched
> kernel, that I unfortunately can not reproduce, where there are
> complaints about an option 'resize' that is not understood.

This would indicate that the filesystem you are trying to resize does
not have the kernel patch applied.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger