[linux-lvm] old metadata

Alexander Elbs alex at m406a.hadiko.de
Fri Jun 28 02:16:02 UTC 2002

hi,

is it somehow possible to update the metadata without doing the according
changes to the rest of the disk?

Because:

I currently have a VG containing 3 PV's. This worked fine, since
yesterday. Now for some odd reason vgscan doesn't work:

vgscan -- reading data of volume group "data" from physical volume(s)
vgscan -- ERROR "vg_read_with_pv_and_lv(): current PV" can't get data of
volume
group "data" from physical volume(s)

looking at the metadata (with pvdata, vgcfgrestore -l ) it looks like that
every version of the metadata I have describes a configuration with 4
PV's. I had this config, but several months ago!
A few months ago I added a new disk, did a pvmove and removed a old disk.
So temporarly there were 4 disks in my VG.

One way to fix my problem could be, that i somehow fake a pvmove. so only
the metadata is updated. Then I would have a newer version of my metadata
that hopefully reflect my real vg. But I also would have to fake the 4th
disk to get vgscan working.

So is there a metadata editor or something like that? Or do I have to
hexedit my disk?

Ciao
Alex

Alexander Elbs  ***  eMail Alexander.Elbs at hadiko.de