[linux-lvm] Problems building on RedHat 7.2 with 2.4.9-21 kernel

Luca Berra bluca at comedia.it
Tue Mar 5 02:09:01 UTC 2002

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 06:32:13PM -0800, John DeFranco wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having some problems building lvm (1.0 or 1.0.3) on a redhat7.2 system
> with kernel 2.4.9-21. I'm getting the following errors:
>
> drivers/md/mddev.o: In function `lvm_snapshot_alloc':
> drivers/md/mddev.o(.text+0xa881): undefined reference to `alloc_kiovec'
<snip>

> I've seen emails on this list saying that lvm only really works/qualified on
> vanilla kernel sources and not distro specific. I guess this is a good
well, in this case the problem seems related to 2.4.9-ac10 patch not specifically
to red hat so we might be willing to help you.
(just kidding, i am glad you are testing a better kernel than 2.4.2
for MC/SG)

> example as to why. However there has to be some easy solution to this I would
> think/hope. At this point I need to use the redhat 2.4.9-21 kernel and lvm
> 1.0 since the version that is in this kernel is 0.9_beta1. So I don't have
> the option of going to 2.4.18 for example.
i don't undestand this passage,
anyway:
looking at alan's patch yow will find the answer, besides from some fixes
taken from lvm cvs he adds:
	int nbhs = KIO_MAX_SECTORS;
to both lvm_snapshot_alloc() and lvm_snapshot_release()
and changes
	err = alloc_kiovec(1, &lv_snap->lv_iobuf);
	ret = alloc_kiovec_sz(1, &lv_snap->lv_iobuf, &nbhs);

and so on for other calls to alloc_kiovec and free_kiovec

I don't have time and resources to actually produce a patch and test it atm,
but i believe it would work, please let us know how you fare

regards,
Luca

Luca Berra -- bluca at comedia.it
        Communication Media & Services S.r.l.