[linux-lvm] lvm redhat 7.2

William Blunn bill+f.20020307 at tao-group.com
Fri Mar 8 02:15:02 UTC 2002

> I've installed lvm and recompiled the kernel to support LVM but I
> still don't see /proc/lvm and when I run vgscan I get vgscan -- LVM
> driver/module not loaded? I soft linked /usr/src/linux to the correct
> dir and configured it accordignly..lost
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Did you build the LVM as a module?

If you have LVM as a module, then check the following:

1. Presence of the module
(a) Did you build the kernel modules? "make modules"
(b) Did you install the kernel modules? "make modules_install"

(a) Explicitly loaded
    There should be a file on your system which lists modules which are
    loaded at startup. In general we use a distribution other than
    Red Hat so I can't help you with the specifics of your distribution.
    RTM.

or
(b) Implicity loaded
    Module is loaded on demand.

    (i)  You probably want the "kernel module loader" turned on in the
         kernel configuration.

    (ii) You need to configure the module loader appropriately. This
         probably only involves ensuring that the module name aliases
         are set up right.

         In the module name aliases you need:

         # The Logical Volume Manager uses these block and char numbers
         alias block-major-58 lvm-mod
         alias char-major-109 lvm-mod

         The module loading tools look in /etc/modules.conf for these
         module name aliases. On our systems that file is automatically
         generated, so we have to put these aliases somewhere else and
         use a tool to regenerate the file. Again I don't know what
         your distribution does. RTM.

Bill
--
William H. Blunn - <bill+s.20020307 at tao-group.com>