[linux-lvm] help with redhat install

Ed Jackson ej_external at bigfoot.com
Wed Mar 13 22:04:03 UTC 2002

I'm trying to install and use LVM on my redhat - but I'm having
difficulties getting started.

I've tried to download and use the binaries at ftp.msede.com:

ftp://linux.msede.com/lvm/binaries/redhat/base/lvm-base-1.1-1.i386.rpm
ftp://linux.msede.com/lvm/binaries/redhat/base/lvm-base-1.1-1.src.rpm

and also all of the following files in:

ftp://linux.msede.com//lvm/0.9.1_beta/binaries/redhat/

lvm-iop10-0.9.1_beta7-1.i386.rpm
lvm-iop10-lib-0.9.1_beta7-1.i386.rpm
lvm-iop10-man-0.9.1_beta7-1.i386.rpm
lvm-iop10-patchgen-0.9.1_beta7-1.i386.rpm

When I install all of those RPMs with gnorpm, and try to run the wrapped
shell scripts for anything to do with LVM (like pvcreate) I get an error
message stating:

-------------- sample message --------------
vgcreate
lvmiopversion -- LVM driver/module not loaded?

vgcreate: /lib/lvm-iop not found.  Is lvm-iop installed?

And when I search the current filesystem for anything named *lvm-iop* I get
nothing.

I have added the following to /etc/modules.conf

alias block-major-58 lvm-mod
alias char-major-109 lvm-mod

Since that didn't seem to work - I removed those RPMs and tried to download
the latest from ftp://ftp.sistina.com/pub/LVM/1.0/ and unpacked all
files.  When I follow the instructions in the lvm-howto doc.. I run
LVM/1.0.1-rc4/configure script, which seems to complete fine.

I then cd into PATCHES and try to run 'make' and get the following error:

make
You haven't applied the rawio patch, please see the README
make: *** [check_rawio] Error 1

The README file only discusses the raw_io patch if I'm using a 2.2
kernel.  But i'm currently using 2.4.9-31

Can anyone please help me out with this?  I'd like to just use the RPMs if
possible - and the source code next if the RPMs don't work out.

Thanks, Ed