[linux-lvm] VG lost, VG restorable without lvmconf? Need help!

Marco Krohn marco.krohn at gmx.de
Wed Mar 27 14:40:01 UTC 2002

 Hi,

for my previous system I used LVM and was very satisfied with it.
Therefore I wanted to use LVM again for my new system (after a
reiserfs crash on the root partition).

There was one volume group "system2" consisting of 6 PVs and one
LV (dev/system2/common) (dev/system2/common survived the
crash unharmed). I was on the way to install a new system (SuSE 7.3)
and gave with Yast2 commands to add and format another PV
(/dev/hdb4) and add two more LV. I do not know exactly what
happened, but YaST  showed me an error that one of the LVM
commands did not succeed (IIRC the problem was that creating
another LV was not possible beause of missing disk space which
sounded absurd to me since there were >30GB free) but anyway... I
canceled the action and when I was back in the LVM screen my VG
"system2" did not exist anymore :-(

I have no lvmconf etc. :-(
Is it possible to recover the VG from the data of the PVs?

My system:
Linux kernel 2.4.10-4
Logical Volume Manager 1.0.1-rc2
two EIDE harddisks: hda 30 GB / hdb 60 GB

Some more information:

//------------------  pvscan
# pvscan
pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hda6"  is associated to an unknown VG
(run vgscan)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hda7"  is associated to an unknown VG
(run vgscan)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdb2"  is associated to an unknown VG
(run vgscan)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdb5"  is associated to an unknown VG
(run vgscan)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdb6"  is associated to an unknown VG
(run vgscan)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdb7"  is associated to an unknown VG
(run vgscan)
pvscan -- total: 6 [64.69 GB] / in use: 6 [64.69 GB] / in no VG: 0 [0]

//------------------ lvmdiskscan
# lvmdiskscan
lvmdiskscan -- reading all disks / partitions (this may take a while...)
lvmdiskscan -- /dev/hda1 [       5.86 GB] Primary   [0x0B]
lvmdiskscan -- /dev/hda4 [      22.77 GB] DOS extended partition
[0x05]
lvmdiskscan -- /dev/hda5 [     305.89 MB] Extended LINUX swap
partition [0x82]
lvmdiskscan -- /dev/hda6 [       9.77 GB] Extended LVM partition
[0x8E]
lvmdiskscan -- /dev/hda7 [      12.70 GB] Extended LVM partition
[0x8E]
lvmdiskscan -- /dev/hdb1 [       2.01 GB] Primary  LINUX native
partition [0x83]
lvmdiskscan -- /dev/hdb2 [      15.01 GB] Primary  LVM partition
[0x8E]
lvmdiskscan -- /dev/hdb3 [      27.22 GB] Primary  Windows98
extended partition [0x0F]
lvmdiskscan -- /dev/hdb4 [      13.00 GB] Primary  LVM partition
[0x8E]
lvmdiskscan -- /dev/hdb5 [      10.00 GB] Extended LVM partition
[0x8E]
lvmdiskscan -- /dev/hdb6 [      10.00 GB] Extended LVM partition
[0x8E]
lvmdiskscan -- /dev/hdb7 [       7.21 GB] Extended LVM partition
[0x8E]
lvmdiskscan -- 2 disks
lvmdiskscan -- 0 whole disks
lvmdiskscan -- 0 loop devices
lvmdiskscan -- 0 multiple devices
lvmdiskscan -- 0 network block devices
lvmdiskscan -- 12 partitions
lvmdiskscan -- 7 LVM physical volume partitions

//------------------  vgscan
# vgscan
vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
vgscan -- "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d" successfully created
vgscan -- WARNING: This program does not do a VGDA backup of
your volume group

//------------------  vgdisplay
linux:/home/krohn # vgdisplay
vgdisplay -- no volume groups found

//------------------  pvdata
# pvdata -v -V -L /dev/hdb2 | grep -v empty
--- Volume group ---
VG Name
VG Access             read/write
VG Status             NOT available/resizable
VG #                  0
MAX LV                255
Cur LV                1
Open LV               0
MAX LV Size           255.99 GB
Max PV                255
Cur PV                7
Act PV                7
VG Size               78.66 GB
PE Size               4.00 MB
Total PE              20136
Alloc PE / Size       7680 / 30.00 GB
Free  PE / Size       12456 / 48.66 GB
VG UUID               avIX6o-E3LV-VSOO-30XL-tjxx-6aDb-Kr2BzB

--- List of logical volumes ---

--- Logical volume ---
LV Name                /dev/system2/common
VG Name                system2
LV Write Access        read/write
LV Status              NOT available
LV #                   6
# open                 0
LV Size                30.00 GB
Current LE             7680
Allocated LE           7680
Allocation             next free
Read ahead sectors     120
Block device           58:5
read_ahead: 120

for hda6, hda7, hdb5, hdb6, hdb7 the information are exactly the same

hdb4 of course is not accessible

# pvdata -v -V -L /dev/hdb4
--- Volume group ---
VG Name
VG Access             error
VG Status             NOT available/NOT resizable

I read parts of the German and English HowTo's and also searched
google and the archive of this mailing list for help. I found the thread
"VG lost, no lvmconf => Help !" but I am not sure if this helps me
since I checked all PV UUID seem to be o.k. Probably I need UUID
fixer to get my system back, but I am not sure if  20.1 of the HowTo
is what I am looking for.

Thanks,

  Marco

http://www.gmx.net