[linux-lvm] VG lost, VG restorable without lvmconf? Need help!

Marco Krohn marco.krohn at gmx.de
Sat Mar 30 07:13:02 UTC 2002

Hi again,

> > This is a problem. Hmmmm...Try recreating your vol group config
> > by running "vgcreate" and "lvcreate" from command line.
> > Do not use yast , as this will call "vgscan" again

Yast is more or less a interface for the LVM tools, it is just for
people (like me) who are too lazy too look up the correct parameters.

> > Also try "vgcfgrestore" , but   assume it is broken too,

As far as I understand vgcfgrestore, it is only useful if you have a
lvmtab resp. lvmtab.d which I do not have :-(

> Remember that LVM doesn't effect the data on your disk, just
> the LVM headers. If you remember the approx. sizes of things
> you may be able to bring the LV back on line long enough to
> back it up, blow off LVM, re-create the thing from scratch,
> run the VG backups and restore the original data.

Thanks for the information I wasn't sure if LVM can kill my data
(forever) if I exectute commands like vgcreate etc.
Unfortunately this doesn't help me since somehow the VG is there
and somehow it isn't:

root at feynman:~ # vgcreate system2 /dev/hda6 /dev/hda7 /dev/hdb2
/dev/hdb5 /dev/hdb6 /dev/hdb7          [13:47]
vgcreate -- volume group directory or file already exists
vgcreate -- please choose a different name

Also reducing the number of PV does not help, probably since every
PV contains still the information that it belongs to "system2". Also
changing the VG name does not help...

root at feynman:~ # vgcreate system /dev/hda6 /dev/hda7 /dev/hdb2
/dev/hdb5 /dev/hdb6 /dev/hdb7           [13:47]
vgcreate -- "/dev/hda6" is not a new physical volume
vgcreate -- physical volume "/dev/hda6" already belongs to volume
group "system2"

On the other hand "system2" does not "exist"...

root at feynman:~ # vgchange -a y system2

[13:47]
vgchange -- volume group "system2" does not exist

root at feynman:~ # lvcreate -L1000 -ntestlv system2

[13:54]
lvcreate -- can't create logical volume: volume group "system2"
doesn't exist

Mmh, seems I can't execute any standard operations on these PVs.
Perhaps one of the authors of the program could be so kind and tell
me if there is any chance to get my data (at least partially) back?

Happy Easter,
   Marco

http://www.gmx.net