[linux-lvm] has anyone used LVM in a HA cluster?

Chad Walstrom chewie at wookimus.net
Thu May 9 14:38:02 UTC 2002

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 09:54:40AM -0700, Au, Richard wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone has used LVM in a high-availibility cluster
> where two servers are connected to shared storage (the physical
> volumes).  If so, which cluster solution did you use?  Will there be
> problems if the logical volumes are visable to both servers, even if
> only one of them has them mounted?  Thanks!

Doing something like this w/o having servers participate in some sort of
locking or journaling scheme is somewhat scary.  You'd have to be pretty
careful on how you access a shared physical storage system in this
manner.

I believe Sistina's GFS project might be more to your liking. IIRC, it's
a clustered, journaling filesystem designed explicitly for your setup.
It's a bonus that it is also GPL.  Check it out at:
http://www.sistina.com/products_gfs.htm.  The latest GPL version of GFS
seems to be 4.1.1 (as present on ftp://ftp.sistina.com/pub/GFS).  I'm
not sure, but I'm assuming from the info available on the website that
GFS 5.0.1 is commercially available as well.  Is Sistina doing something
similar to TrollTech w/licensing GFS, then?  Or are they just behind the
ball as far as releasing the newer versions to the ftp site?  (I'm
assuming the former.)

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie