[linux-lvm] has anyone used LVM in a HA cluster?

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Fri May 10 19:45:02 UTC 2002

-- Austin Gonyou <austin at coremetrics.com>

>> From what I understand you *can* mount the LVM volumes on multiple hosts

> at the same time, but you should be *readonly* on the hosts which do not
> *own* the data on the disks. You could then *remount* the volume on the
> target failover host.

I've had reasonable luck with this approach on other
platforms (HP-UX, but the LVM is similar enough that
it should work).

All it really needs is a "heartbeatd": you open a
socket to, say, echo (port 1) and every second write
a byte. If you don't get the byte back in, say, 100ms
then you try one more time before re-mounting the LV
rw on the backup host.

This can all be done w/ sockets in perl with about
20 lines of code. If both hosts monitor each other
then either monitor can scream for help.

                                            +1 800 762 1582