[linux-lvm] LVM 1.03 root file system on Redhat 7.3]

Daniel Savard dsavard at cids.ca
Thu May 30 19:24:02 UTC 2002

 le jeu 30-05-2002 à 02:22, James B. Byrne a écrit :

 > We are using the grub bootloader.  We have followed the
 > instructions contained in the the lvm howto document provided by
 > sistina, to the best of my ability to understand them.
 >
 > The problem is that system gives a kernel panic when started using
 > the lvm boot option.  Is there a way to redirect the boot dialogue
 > output to a file?  It appears that the most informative messages may
 > be scrolling of the top of the screen.  What I am seeing is this:
 >
 > kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modeprobe -s -k block-major-7 errno = 2
 >
 > repeated 16 times, followed by
 >
 > vgvchange -- volume group "vg00" successfully activated
 >
 > VFS: Cannot open root device "vg00"/lv01: or 00:00
 > Please append correct "root=" boot option
 >
 > Help?
 >
 > Regards,
 > Jim
 > ---     e-mail is NOT a secure channel
 > James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB at Harte-Lyne.ca
 > Harte & Lyne Limited          http://www.harte-lyne.ca
 > 9 Brockley Drive              vox: +1 905 561 1241
 > Hamilton, Ontario             fax: +1 905 561 0757
 > Canada  L8E 3C3

 Although I am using lilo, I suppose it is the same problem I
 encountered.

 Don't know GRUB, but I suppose there is a line which specify your root
 filesystem. You should have something like: /dev/myvg/mylv instead of
 /dev/sdaX or /dev/hdaX or any disk name.

If you already use this naming scheme, I suggest you post you GRUB
configuration file, in order to help us understand how things are
configured.

 Regards,
 --

 Daniel Savard