[linux-lvm] Re: LVM 1.03 root file system on Redhat 7.3

Daniel Savard dsavard at cids.ca
Thu May 30 19:37:02 UTC 2002

le jeu 30-05-2002 à 13:44, James B. Byrne a écrit :

> The kmod error is reputedly caused by the ramdisk image file
> (created by lvmcreate_initrd) not containing a /sbin/modprobe
> command.  How can I verify if this is so?  I note that redhat has
> /sbin/modprobe as a logical link to insmod.  Could this be confusing
> lvmcreate_initrd?

The symlink won't cause lvmcreate_initrd to create a ramdisk image with
the missing executable.

To check, just copy your initrd image somewhere, say /tmp, uncompress it
(gunzip) there and mount it on a mount point as a loop device:

Given an initrd uncompressed file name: my_image
Given a mount point named: /tmp/my_mount_point

Just type: mount -o loop /tmp/my_image /tmp/my_mount_point

After that, you can cd to /tmp/my_mount_point and look at the files and
executables there.

Regards,

--

Daniel Savard