[linux-lvm] vg fun!

Daryl Herzmann akrherz at iastate.edu
Mon Nov 11 11:31:01 UTC 2002

Greetings,

(warning:  I am a newbie to LVM!  I am probably doing something stupid.)

Environment:
  RedHat 8.0  (RH stock  2.4.18-14)
  lvm-1.0.3-9

Before this machine became quasi-production, I was messing around with LVM
and Raid.  I probably screwed somethinng up royally and I am hoping that
someone could help me reverse it...

I have a RAID 5 array of 3 physical hard drives 120G and a hopefull LVM
combination of a 40 and 80 to make 120.  (I had this working for a few
days until a reboot)  After my reboot,  the lvm component of my raid array
failed and I have been degradded mode ever since...

So lets try my LVM commands...

# pvscan
pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/md0"   is associated to unknown VG "test_vg"
(run vgscan)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdj1"  is associated to unknown VG "vg1" (run
vgscan)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdc1"  is associated to unknown VG "vg1" (run
vgscan)
pvscan -- total: 3 [229.29 GB] / in use: 3 [229.29 GB] / in no VG: 0 [0]

(I wanted to combine /dev/hdj1 and /dev/hdc1 to built vg1, the problem
appears to be why /dev/md0 still thinks it is a part of test_vg?)

# vgscan
vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
Segmentation fault

# ls /etc/lvmconf/
vg0.conf        vg0.conf.2.old  vg0.conf.4.old  vg1.conf.1.old
vg0.conf.1.old  vg0.conf.3.old  vg1.conf

# ls -l /dev/test_vg
ls: /dev/test_vg: No such file or directory

So I guess the question is how to I get rid of test_vg??  I think once I
eliminate test_vg, then my vg1 will behave correctly.  Oh, here is my
raidtab in case you are interested..

# cat /etc/raidtab
raiddev /dev/md0
  raid-level             5