[linux-lvm] problem with vgcreate

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Fri Nov 22 14:19:02 UTC 2002

Tried them both in both combinations and neither one worked.  I got a
new error message after the last reboot about the partition type.  It
was "linux" not 8e (Unknown according to fdisk).  vgcreate is working
per below now.

Probably this bizaar hardware I'm stuck with.

Thus spake Steven Lembark (lembark at wrkhors.com):

> Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 14:17:01 -0600
> From: Steven Lembark <lembark at wrkhors.com>
> To: linux-lvm at sistina.com
> cc: robert at rdlg.net
> Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] problem with vgcreate
>

> -- "Robert L. Harris" <Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net>
>

> >I'm trying to create a LVM for a system.  I partitioned my drives,
> >rebooted and do my pvcreates but then it blows up on vgcreate.  The
> >drives are both 18Gig, I've duplicated the partitions so they're
> >identicle size even though they're going to be concats, not stripes.
> >
> >Here's a screen dump just made a bit readable.
> >
> >root at performance:/root# pvcreate /dev/sda2
> >pvcreate -- physical volume "/dev/sda2" successfully created
> >
> >root at performance:/root# pvcreate /dev/sdb2
> >pvcreate -- physical volume "/dev/sda2" successfully created
> >
> >root at performance:/root# pvscan -v
> >pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
> >pvscan -- walking through all physical volumes found
> >pvscan -- no valid physical volumes found
> >
> >performanc:/root# vgcreate -v lvm-vg1
> >/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2
> >/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part2 vgcreate -- checking volume group
>
> Any reason you use the devfs paths for the vgcreate and
> devfsd for the pvcreate's?
>

> --
> Steven Lembark                               2930 W. Palmer
> Workhorse Computing                       Chicago, IL 60647
>                                            +1 800 762 1582

:wq!
Robert L. Harris                     | PGP Key ID: FC96D405

DISCLAIMER:
FYI: