[linux-lvm] problem with vgcreate

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Sun Nov 24 12:40:02 UTC 2002

>> I'm trying to create a LVM for a system.  I partitioned my drives,
>> rebooted and do my pvcreates but then it blows up on vgcreate.  The
>> drives are both 18Gig, I've duplicated the partitions so they're
>> identicle size even though they're going to be concats, not stripes.
>>
>> Here's a screen dump just made a bit readable.
>>
>> root at performance:/root# pvcreate /dev/sda2
>> pvcreate -- physical volume "/dev/sda2" successfully created
>>
>> root at performance:/root# pvcreate /dev/sdb2
>> pvcreate -- physical volume "/dev/sda2" successfully created

> Sure of that ???                               ^^^^

Just for the fun of it, if the physical volumes are still
unusable (this will wipe them out if you are using them:

	for file in /dev/sd[ab]2
	do
		dd if=/dev/null of=$file bs=1b count=1;

		pvcreate --force --verbose $file;

		pvdisplay $file;
	done

If you prefer to use devfs -- I do -- then replace
/dev/sd[ab]2 with /dev/scsi/hostX/target[01]/lun0/part2.

                                            +1 800 762 1582