[linux-lvm] Upgrade Linux 2.2 to 2.4 problems

Dick Middleton dick at lingbrae.com
Tue Oct 1 17:23:02 UTC 2002

I'm still having difficulty getting LVM to behave itself on a 2.4 kernel
when it
works fine on a 2.2 kernel.  I'm using beta7 on both kernels - the 2.4
kernel
is 2.4.10.ac4 which seems to have version beta7(ish) in it.  I'm booting
through
initrd as /root is on LVM.

vgscan appears to work ok but vgchange fails with:

Error- can't get names of physical volumes - please check if /proc is
mounted.

Well, /proc is mounted - in fact if it isn't mounted I don't this error.

What does this error message mean and what's likely to be wrong to cause it?

Many thanks

Dick