[linux-lvm] Re: device-mapper transition

Andres Salomon dilinger at mp3revolution.net
Fri Oct 11 17:09:53 UTC 2002

We should probably have lvm2 tools check the driver (and libdevmapper)
version after processing arguments.  So, after making sure the user
doesn't just want to run vgchange --help, vgchange should check to make
sure that
a) there _is_ a version of dm in the kernel
b) the version in the kernel is compatible w/ it

This would lead to some better error messages, and hopefully less
questions.  Instead of:
[dilinger at wax tools]$ sudo vgchange -a y
  No volume groups found

Perhaps:
[dilinger at wax tools]$ sudo vgchange -a y
  Error: device-mapper driver not found; support must be compiled into
  the kernel!
[dilinger at wax tools]$ sudo vgchange -a y
  Error: the version of device-mapper in the kernel is incompatible with
  this lvm package; please upgrade device-mapper.

Support is already in the kernel and libdevmapper for driver version
querying; should be just an issue of adding the check to the lvm2 tools.

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 02:04:46AM -0700, Steven Stillaway wrote:
[...]
> The only really tricky bit has been the fact that the
> lvm tools (in particular vgscan) are completely
> different between the two version.  Actually LVM 2 just
> seems to have one tool with a lot of symlinks.
>
> So when I switch from 2.4.19 w/ LVM 1 to 2.5.41 w/
> LVM2 I have to make sure to switch from one vgscan to
> the other.
>
> The obviously solution is to upgrade my 2.4.19 to
> LVM2, but not tonight -- it is late.
>
> If I notice anything I will let you know.  If you
> have any questions or want some data from my test
> box please let me know.
>
> Off to bed now -- later
>
> --
>
> Steven Stillaway
> steve at stillaway.net

It's not denial.  I'm just selective about the reality I accept.
	-- Bill Watterson