[linux-lvm] vgcreate on 1.5TB volume

José Luis Domingo López linux-lvm at 24x7linux.com
Mon Oct 14 17:26:42 UTC 2002

On Monday, 14 October 2002, at 16:04:32 -0500,
Austin Gonyou wrote:

> I want to get as much of this volume useable as possible in one LV. (if
> not all, I thought vgcreate -Ay -s8M would work, but I get 512MB LV max
> message)

A default physical extent (PE) size of 4 MB when creating a VG gives you
a maximun LV size of 65536*4 MB = 256 GB. If you increase your PE size
by a factor of 16 (any factor multiple of two should work) you get a
maximun LV size of 16 times 256 GB, that is, 4 TB.

Current unpatched kernels for 32-bit architectures have a hard limit at
around 2 TB, so maybe you can even try with a PE size of 8 MB. The only
apparent drawback of a larger PE is LV sizes get rounded to the nearest
PE-size boundary, so you can "waste" up to PE MB for each LV.

Hope this helps (and is correct ;-)

--
Jose Luis Domingo Lopez
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian Linux Woody (Linux 2.4.18-586tsc)