[linux-lvm] Re: problem with lvm on root-fs

Stefan Weigel sw at global-linxs.de
Thu Oct 17 02:51:05 UTC 2002

Am Donnerstag, 17. Oktober 2002 09:15 schrieb Luca Berra:
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 08:59:03AM +0200, Stefan Weigel wrote:
> >Hi erveryone!
> >I'm a little bit closer now. I've create an initrd with lvmcreate_initrd.
> >In this initrd there was no module for my mylex-raid-controller. I've
> > fixed that problem, e.g. put the kernel module in it and changed linuxrc.
> > After rebooting there's another kernel panic, but on this time the system
> > finds my volume groups. Output:
> >
> >kernel panic: no init found. Try passing init= to...
>
> this usually means it couldn't mount your root fs, or got it wrong
>
> L.

Hi,
that's right, but where's my problem ? I've used the howto from sistina.com to
convert my root-fs. On a non lvm root partition there are no problems.
There's already the entry in /etc/fstab pointing to my root-fs on lvm. Also
this is no problem. But when I changing lilo.conf (root=) to my root-fs on
lvm I get this error. In the initrd there are all needed modules (RAID+lvm)
and it find my volume groups but still I got this kernel panic. There's a
/bin/sh, so why it is beefing ?

I'm very confused.

Greetings

Stefan