[linux-lvm] vgimport says "ERROR: wrong number of physical volumes"

Tony Likhite tony at likhite.net
Thu Oct 17 10:04:53 UTC 2002

The boot drive in my dual-drive system was dying, so I pvmoved all its PEs
to the other drive and vgreduced it from its VG (rootvg).  During a reboot
after completing the vgreduce, the boot drive died.

However, when I connected the remaining (good) drive to another system,
vgscan reported a duplicate volume group ID (as I recall), and made a VG
on the new machine (vg00) inaccessible.  rootvg was fine, and I was able
to mount LVs from it, though.

To get back vg00, I vgexported rootvg.  However, now when I try to import
it again, vgimport fails with "wrong number of physical volumes".

How can I fix this?  Is it possible to edit the definition of rootvg and
reduce the PV count?  I'm reasonably sure that all the PEs are intact on
the remaining drive, and the VG definition is the only thing that's off.

Thanks.

Tony