[linux-lvm] creating a LVM ontop of a cryptated (ppdd) loop back device

José Luis Domingo López linux-lvm at 24x7linux.com
Thu Oct 17 16:13:01 UTC 2002

On Thursday, 17 October 2002, at 18:01:41 +0200,
Jon Bendtsen wrote:

> I'm trying to cryptate my filesystems, and be able to take snapshots of
> them.
> I cannot get a snapshot of a cryptated LV to work (maybe because it is
> readonly)

I haven't tried, but wouldn't it be possible to just take a snapshots
from a LV containing an encrypted filesystem, and then loop-mount it
(assuming encrypted via the loop device), give the password, and then
backup ?

I think from the loop-aes type of filesystem encryption point of view.
But as I have said previously, I haven't tried if this works, although
if my understanding of all these things is OK, should work.

I will try to test this setup tomorrow when I get to work :-)

--
Jose Luis Domingo Lopez
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian Linux Woody (Linux 2.4.19-pre6aa1)