[linux-lvm] creating a LVM ontop of a cryptated (ppdd) loop back device

Jose Luis Domingo Lopez linux-lvm at 24x7linux.com
Sun Oct 20 11:43:01 UTC 2002

On Sunday, 20 October 2002, at 17:57:34 +0200,
Jon Bendtsen wrote:

> Not completely offtopic.

I hope so :)

> Why are you using mount ??

What I described is an encrypted filesystem over a plain-and-simple LV,
and the procedure you could follow to take snapshots from this LV,
which holds an encrypted filesystem, and make filesystem-level backups
(such as those made with tar, cpio, rsync and others).

At least in Debian, "losetup" comes with the "mount" package.

> I'm talking about running LVM ontop of a encrypted loopback device, not
> encrypting a lv.

Then maybe we are talking about different things here. I used an
encrypted filesystem over an unencrypted LV but, as loop-aes needs the
loop device to operate, I need to loop-mount the encrypted filesystem for
the system to be able to on-the-fly decrypt its contents.

Maybe I am confused, because I don't fully understand what you mean by
"running LVM ontop of a encrypted loopback device".

--
Jose Luis Domingo Lopez
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian Linux Woody (Linux 2.4.19-pre6aa1)