[linux-lvm] I broke my PVs!

Austin Gonyou austin at coremetrics.com
Sun Oct 20 15:17:02 UTC 2002

On Sun, 2002-10-20 at 05:49, Luca Berra wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 11:14:02PM -0500, Austin Gonyou wrote:
> >I have 3 disks, one 9GB and two 18GB scsi disks. I just re-installed my
> >system with RH 8.0, and it didn't like that the two 18's weren't
> >initialized, I guess I screwed up, cause I didn't think I was
> >initializing them(since I told the installer not to), and instead ran
> >fdisk and then saved without making partitions.

> what do you mean with initialized?
> mke2fs? in this case you will find lovely ext2 superblock copies in the
> middle of your data, but then you could salvage most of your data.

I ran fdisk, then just saved. So I guess you could say I just lost the
partition table.

> lost partition table? just recreate it, it is not destructive?

I didn't have any partitions just whole disks.

> lost lvm metadata?
> i s'pose you don't have a metadata backup handy,
> how were your lv's laid out in your vg?

one LV, one VG, and two PVs in the VG, striped. -i2 -I64

> i never tried this on linux, but on hp-ux pvcreate, vgcreate and
> lvcreate weren't
> destructive, it only touched disk metadata. so you could try pvcreate,
> vgcreate and lvcreate.
> DO A BACKUP OF YOUR RAW DISK DATA FIRST

what about vgcfgrestore from another set of smaller disks that are laid
out the same way? could that work?

Wish I could, but I can't. Don't have enough disk space. :(