[linux-lvm] hard disk crash

NagyZ nagyz at piarista-kkt.sulinet.hu
Thu Oct 31 14:33:01 UTC 2002

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, NagyZ wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Heinz J . Mauelshagen wrote:
>

> > You mentioned that you were dd'ing stuff of the partially failed drive.
> >
> > If you get a replacement drive of the same size, dd everything onto it,
> > "pvcreate -ff ..." it and vgcfgrestore LVM's metadata onto it.
> > "vgscan;vgchange -ay" afterwards should bring your VG back to life but you
> > will loose some of your data.
> >
> > As already said by Jon: you want to go RAID1/5.
>
> yes, i know i'll loose data.
> thnx, i'll try that..
>
> i said to the boss to gimme money to buy some disks, then i'll do hw
> mirroring..

so..

i replaced the drive, and pvscan says that VG is OK..
all LV s could be mounted, except one.
i run mkreiserfs on this, and from then we're using that..
thnx for the advice.

and the boss said: 'for what would you buy new disks? to buy new again
tomorrow to replace them?' so the answer was no :)

NagyZ