[linux-lvm] Removing an old disk, and some vgexport/import love..

Matt lightning at aci.net
Thu Sep 19 01:39:01 UTC 2002

Helu,

I am in dire need of some help.I recently removed an old disk from my PV
and added a new one

 in place of the old one.

e.g.

pvmove garage /dev/hdj1 /dev/hde1 (hde1 being the new drive)

The physical extents moved over to the new drive and everything was
looking good until

I made a pretty big mistake, I figured I'd need to export the group
'garage' and import it.

Wrong! Now when I go and try to import my group it freaks stating:

            # vgimport garage /dev/hde1 /dev/hdg1 /dev/hdf1

vgimport -- ERROR: wrong number of physical volumes to import volume
group "garage"

I can't do a vgcfgrestore either, because it is currently exported and I
am not sure if that would
fix anything anyways. Here is some more information:

            # pvscan

pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)

pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdg1"  is in EXPORTED VG "garage" [74.55 GB
/ 0 free]

pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hde1"  is in EXPORTED VG "garage" [76.33 GB
/ 0 free]

pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdf1"  is in EXPORTED VG "garage" [74.52 GB
/ 60.21 GB free]

pvscan -- total: 3 [225.42 GB] / in use: 3 [225.42 GB] / in no VG: 0 [0]

            vgscan -d output can be found at:
http://www.planetgarage.net/vgscan.txt (long)

root at deify:~ # vgdisplay -Dv

vgdisplay -- WARNING: volume group "garagePV_EXP" is exported

--- Volume group ---

VG Name               garagePV_EXP

VG Access             read/write

VG Status             NOT available/exported/resizable

VG #                  0

MAX LV                256

Cur LV                1

Open LV               0

MAX LV Size           255.99 GB

Max PV                256

Cur PV                3

Act PV                3

VG Size               225.41 GB

PE Size               4 MB

Total PE              57705

Alloc PE / Size       42290 / 165.20 GB

Free  PE / Size       15415 / 60.21 GB

VG UUID               fs8lXY-bca9-tFHT-yv8g-HP7U-Ssh7-v13m9h

--- Logical volume ---

LV Name                /dev/garage/LLAMA

VG Name                garage

LV Write Access        read/write

LV Status              NOT available

LV #                   1

# open                 0

LV Size                165.20 GB

Current LE             42290

Allocated LE           42290

Allocation             next free

Read ahead sectors     120

Block device           58:0

--- Physical volumes ---

PV Name (#)           /dev/hde1 (1)

PV Status             available / allocatable

Total PE / Free PE    19541 / 0

PV Name (#)           /dev/hdg1 (3)

PV Status             available / allocatable

Total PE / Free PE    19086 / 0

PV Name (#)           /dev/hdf1 (4)

PV Status             available / allocatable

Total PE / Free PE    19078 / 15415