[linux-lvm] Logical Volume Limit Size

Alasdair G Kergon agk at uk.sistina.com
Wed Apr 2 06:01:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 12:44:55PM +0200, Tony Scheffer wrote:
> I simply could not find this info, I hope its not written somewhere obvious and I am just being blind. BUT:
> If I upgrade from LVM1 to LVM2 will the 255G limit be exceeded? I cannot create a LV bigger then that.

LVM1 on-disk format:
  This limit is fixed by the Physical Extent size chosen when
  you create the Volume Group - see the vgcreate man page.
  It can't be changed later.

LVM2 on-disk format:
  You should only be limited by the kernel's 2TB limit.

So you would need to upgrade to LVM2 and use vgconvert to
convert your metadata into the new format.

[Note:  (a) I've not tested this yet;  (b) Certain LVM2 tool
operations may appear slow as they are still (unnecessarily)
proportional to the total number of physical extents in the VG
and need optimising.]

At some point we should have an LVM2 tool that changes the
Physical Extent size.

Alasdair
agk at uk.sistina.com